9.30.2010

These are a few of my favorite things

As summer has come to a close, I'm switching over from fresh summer vegetables to hearty fall produce.  Doing this, I had to reflect on one of my favorite summer meals involving a few of my favorite foods.

Oh how I love tomatoes, cheese, and mayonnaise.

Josh and I prepared a summer feast of sorts when we were visiting our family in Florida for Labor Day weekend.  So of course it had to include all my favorite items bought from my favorite store, Publix.

There I was just flipping through cooks books when along comes Paula Deen.  A heroin in her own right who decided to combine all my favorite things in a crusty pie shell and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Perfection, pure perfection.






Tomato Pie


•4 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
•10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
•1/2 cup chopped green onion
•1 (9-inch) prebaked deep dish pie shell
•1 cup grated mozzarella
•1 cup grated cheddar
•1 cup mayonnaise
•Salt and pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in 1 layer. Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes.
Layer the tomato slices, basil, and onion in pie shell. Season with salt and pepper. Combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise together. Spread mixture on top of the tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
To serve, cut into slices and serve warm.

In true Thompson form, we had a slew of other dishes, but that topped it out for me.  But I can't forget the grilled pineapple and peaches that I topped with Publix frozen yogurt and shredded coconut.  Pretty much summer in a bowl-until next year. xoxo


4 comments:

Absolutely Fabulous said...

That dessert looks FANTASTIC and YUMMY!!!! I will have to try that!

Ashley said...

Looks so good! I totally share your love for Publix. Mississippi doesn't have them and the Piggly Wiggly is not comparable to how fabulous Publix is!

Dee Stephens said...

totally hungry now!! yum

DSS said...

That tomato pie looks devine! I have never heard of such a thing. Hmmm...wonder if it's appropriate to make at T-giving? Hmmm...

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS