9.27.2010

Back to the Grind

Oh Monday, how you come so quickly.  I am in recovery mode from this weekend.  And by recovery, I mean I am still in physical pain from all the food I consumed at Robyn and David's wedding and rehearsal dinner.  Wowzers!  I don't think I should need to eat for a few days.  AND don't even have room for coffee in my tummy this morning-that's saying something.  Considering I had three speciality coffees at the end of the reception I should also have a caffeine buzz that lasts another day or two.  How could I turn down multiple personalized peppermint mocha's made with Godiva liquor and Creme de Menthe?  Considering I don't know the definition of will power, I couldn't. 

Monday's mean the commute to work is back on.  And I have switched mine up a little in the past few weeks.  Luckily I live fairly close to my office, so my 4-5 mile commute shouldn't take that long, but seeing I live just outside of DC-one of the most trafficy spots in the country my 4-5 miles translates to 45 minutes up to two hours, yes, two hours.  For the past year and a half I have driven the same city streets to work every morning.  Although the inner loop is a straight shot from my house to my office, I have never really taken it to get to work.

I have always been a city street kind of gal.  When we stayed in the hotel this summer, I discovered I could take a few less traveled highways and get to work lickety split.  So once we moved back home, I decided to give 495 a go.  Although it is pure chaos coming and going, it has shaved some serious time off my commute.  So, I've traded my 45 minute leisurely drive chatting on the cell to a 20 minute run of pure adrenaline.  If I don't pay 100% attention, I would end up flipped over in a ditch on the side of the road.  Gosh I love DC traffic!

6 comments:

VA Gal said...

Be careful out there! DC traffic has been quite the revelation to me. Whenever I'm up around the Beltway, I don't think I can ever get 100% used to it. I do slightly envy the 4-5 mile commute, though.

Dee Stephens said...

Hey! found you through DSS. Looks like we have a lot in common. My hubby is from DC, we have a beagle named Buddy and I'm a Jr. Leaguer and former sorority gal(DeeGee). BUT..I'm an LSU alum and Tiger fan ;)
I guess it's all SEC though..right?
GREAT to find you! Post wedding pix from this weekend!

DSS said...

I absolutely abhor 495! When I drive to my DC office it is so leisurely for most of the drive, AND THEN...I hit 495. I feel like my blood pressure sky rockets and I have to watch out for everyone.

Totally agree that it is worth saving the time, but boy...it sure does stress me out!

Kelly said...

I bet you were wired from all that coffee!

I Do Declare said...

And if DC traffic isn't bad enough on its own, let's discuss adding just a tiny amount of rain to the mix? I went 10mph for nearly my entire drive this morning - glorious...except the opposite of that! But yay for you for braving the Beltway - it's not for the faint of heart!

The Undomestic Mom said...

I have heard so many people say DC has the worst traffic!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS