7.07.2010

My Recent Obesssion

I have totally been digging fresh fruits and veggies this summer.  I'm talking actually getting the recommended 5-7 daily here, it's been awesome!

Along my gastronomical journey, I have eliminated one of my beloved favorites, ie the Gyro Platter from my favorite lunch spot.  Imagine a plate of warm pita bread under a heap of gyro meat served along side a greek salad topped with tzatziki sauce and a nice dolma.  This was once a weekly (if not more) indulgence, until my nutritionist told me gyro meat was the Mediterranean equivalent of a hot dog.  Sadness and denial set in, but I have not gone back for my beloved Gyro Platter since.

I have a serious affection for Greek/Lebanese/Mediterranean Food.  Love numero uno:  Tzatziki Sauce.  My current plan doesn't call for much dairy, even coming from super healthy, thick and creamy Greek Yogurt.  So I had to find a replacement and fast.  Enter my husband picking up a sample platter from the Lebanese place down the street from our house.  Too tempted not to taste, but trying to stay "in the box,"  I sampled some hummus - HEAVEN!  Now hummus has never ranked too high on my list, but I think that's because I always bought the crappy pre-packaged kind-which I really don't have an excuse for since every grocery store around here has a hummus and olive bar.  Problem was I am usually too busy eyeing the cheese section to notice any healthy alternatives.

Want to know what blows crappy pre-packaged hummus out of the water?  Homemade hummus!

Oh yes, I made my own.  And have made about four batches since and plan to make another batch tonight. 

The players:

Chick peas, garlic, lemons, Tabasco, salt, tahini and olive oil.

I play around with these ingredients each time I make it, swearing the next time I will add less tahini and olive oil (I don't use that much in the first place), but still trying to keep the added (although healthy) fat to a minimum.  Don't worry I never swear to add less garlic!

Basics:  Grind up four cloves of garlic in the food processor, then add two cans of drained chick peas (reserve liquid) and the juice of two lemons.  Keep that food processor going.  To get the hummus to a consistency that works for you add the reserved liquid from the chick peas and tahini and olive oil.  Once at a good consistency, flavor with some Kosher Salt and a few dashes of Tabasco Sauce.

Oh and a new way I found to juice a lemon/lime.  I microwave for 10-15 seconds, then roll on the counter and cut three slices from the sides. 

You won't believe how easy and how much juice you'll get.      

6 comments:

Janna said...

Looks good! I may have to try some homemade hummus tonight!

VA Gal said...

I'm going to have to try that lemon juicing trick. I'm forever wearing my hands out trying to juice those things when I cook. What a nifty idea!

I've been on a fresh fruit/veggie kick, too. Thank goodness for the farmers' market!

Kristin said...

Oh how I love hummus!!! Isn't it a great healthy snack? Now you've got me craving some...thanks. :-) Happy Thursday to you!

Melissa said...

OMG! Now I want some hummus. Thanks alot! hahahahaha

Lexilooo said...

are you saying that hotdogs are bad for you!? :)

I need to make my own hummus. new goal for the summer!

Lexilooo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS